Friday, 12 June 2009
Foyle Day Events!
Foyle Days 2009 - 13th and 14th June 2009
12pm - 4pm
This weekend the Banks of the Foyle will be awash with a range of activities celebrating the city's vast maritime heritage as part of the Foyle Days 2009 event.
This event promotes the accessibility of the River Foyle, highlighting the range of activities that are available for families and outdoor enthusiasts.
* SCUBA diving taster sessions with the City of Derry Sub Aqua Diving Club*
* Sample canoeing with the Foyle Paddlers*
* Eco tour of the River Foyle with Just Kayak*
*Advance booking for taster sessions at the information desk on site is essential
For your chance to win £250 vouchers take part in a "Slow Bike Race" which takes place in the DOE car park on Saturday 13th June only from 12 pm - 4 pm. Bikes and safety equipment will be provided.
Visit the Navy Ship which will be berthed along Queen's Quay. The ship will be open from 2.30 pm - 4.00 pm on Saturday 13th and 2.00pm - 4.00 pm on Sunday 14th June.
There is also the opportunity to avail of a historical tour of the Ebrington Site, visiting the Atlantic Memorial Exhibition in the Workhouse and the Spanish Armada Exhibition in the Tower Museum. A free shuttle bus service will be provided and tours will depart from the lay-by opposite Quay West at 12pm, 1.30pm and 3.00pm daily.
Other highlights include:
* Open Yacht Race and Dingy Race
* Visit the marquee for arts, crafts, maritime face painting, street entertainment with maritime pirates, puppet shows and story-telling.
* Reminisce and explore the City's maritime history and heritage in the Knowledge Zone.
* View the large scale model of the "Peace Bridge"
* Chill out in the Maritime Marquee and avail of great quality refreshments in a unique 1940's style ambience.
* Walled City Market traders will be offering a variety of products suitable for everyone and located at Queen's Quay.
Further details on Foyle Days can be obtained by visiting